4 for 3 on Purina® diets here


Owner brings his dog to the beach, hours later, the nightmare begins

Labrador dies from saltwater poisoning after a visit to the beach dog-sad
© Pixabay

A fun afternoon at the beach turned into a nightmare for one dog lover in Florida. Chris Taylor lost his much loved Labrador after the dog was poisoned by swimming in the ocean and drinking saltwater.

By Dawn Parrish

Published on the 06/08/2019, 13:00, Updated on the 09/08/2019, 10:45

Labrador enjoys splashing around in the sea to cool down

Chris Taylor, a student at the University of Florida, regularly took his black Labrador, O.G. for a run on the sands and a swim in the sea. As they had done countless times before on other visits, Chris and his dog had fun splashing around in the waves, in an attempt to cool down on this hot summer’s day. Following a long day at the Honeymoon Island State Dog Park Beach, O.G. appeared to be rather tired and lethargic, which was the norm after an exhaustive, energetic day.

Dog takes a turn for the worse

Later that evening, it appeared that O.G. wasn’t his usual chirpy self. It all began with a stomach upset, with sickness and diarrhoea. Chris fed the Labrador with rice and boiled chicken, which he usually enjoyed. However, by the following morning, Tuesday, O.G. was still groggy and lethargic. On Wednesday, Chris knew that things weren’t looking too good for his canine pal, and he rushed him to the vet’s surgery.

Labrador is poisoned by the saltwater

Following a medical check, the vet confirmed that O.G.’s brain had swollen because of the high levels of sodium from the sea water and he had brain damage and severe dehydration.  By this time, the damage caused was too intensive and the dog began to have a seizure and many convulsions. Unfortunately, the vet couldn’t do anything to save the dog’s life and he had to be put to sleep.

A harsh warning to other dog owners

While the loss of his family pet is a shock to Chris, he is urging other dog owners to be aware of the terrible dangers that lurk at the beach. Saltwater poisoning from the ocean is more common than many pet owners understand or know about. Always check on your dog at the beach and certainly make sure that they don’t drink saltwater. Always provide fresh drinking water for your dog too, which will help to dilute any sea water they have managed to swallow while playing.

In cases like this, prevention is much better than searching for a cure. The outcome of an enjoyable trip to the beach could have tragic consequences.