A heroic dog made the ultimate sacrifice to save his best friend's life. The baby was napping in a cot when a deadly cobra approached, and if it weren't for the loyal and brave family dogs, it would've died from the venomous attack.
By, 28 Jul 2019
One-year-old Skye was fast asleep in the house in Kidapawan City, Philippines, when the poisonous snake slithered into the front garden.
Thankfully, her two older doggy siblings, Moxey and Milly, quickly spotted the danger.
The dogs go on the offensive
CCTV footage shows brave Moxey confronting the intruder before Milly jumps in to lend a helping paw.
Knowing her little sleeping sister is in danger, Milly grabs the snake between her jaws. But the slippery creature wriggles free and makes a beeline for the front door, which is only a few metres away from the baby's cot.
The dogs launch a fresh offensive, biting and snapping at the snake, then finally dragging it away from the house.
The dramatic battle lasts around two minutes before the snake stops moving and dies.
But sadly, Milly also passed away after being bit by the cobra - one of the world's most poisonous snakes. Moxie was left blind after the snake spat venom in his eyes.
Rest now, Miley. You are a herohttps://t.co/i2XFCycee6— Animal Scene MB (@animalsceneMB) July 22, 2019
Skye's father, Jaime Selim, said:
"My wife and I were out for work. When we arrived, our helper told us what happened and reviewed the cameras. We were shocked but also so proud of the dogs."
"I can't thank my dogs enough for protecting my baby Skye. We will miss Milly so much."
A deep and lasting bond
Dog's have been protecting humans for thousands of years. As natural pack animals, they have an instinctual drive to confront any dangers or threats to family members. They're also exceptionally loyal, as proven by the actions of these amazing pups.
And while one dog gave her life for her family, and another one will never quite be the same ever again, this story reminds us all of the incredible bond between humans and canines.