Trending :
wamiz-v3_1

Wamiz Shop 🛍️

Incredible rescue dog adopts orphan foal

The incredible dog who adopted an orphan foal
© Karla Swindle - Facebook

When a foal lost his Mum at just 9 days old, the most unexpected four-legged friend came to his rescue - a kind and caring Australian cattle dog called Zip.

By Alice Lang, 8 Jul 2019

When an adorable foal called Tye was born, he had only 9 days to get to know his mother. In that time, she became sick and, eventually, sadly passed away.

But as soon as Tye’s Mum crossed the rainbow bridge, it was as if Zip, an Australian cattle dog, knew exactly what he had to do.

Zip knew something was wrong

“Zip had never shown much interest in his horse siblings. We raise foals every year, and he would kind of look in the door and just look at them,” Karla Swindle, Zip’s mom, said to The Dodo.

But this time was different. Zip stayed right by Tye’s side from the moment things went downhill.

3/17/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

“I spent the night at the barn taking care of the mama horse, hoping that I could pull her through. Zip stayed with me in the alley of the barn all night — the foal was laying in the alley, and he just lay there beside the foal.

“He was whining. You could tell that Zip knew something was wrong that night.”

3/17/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

It was Zip’s mission to help Tye

That night, Tye’s Mum died - but Zip comforted the little horse in every way he knew how to. He stayed with him 24/7, cuddled up to him and tried to lift his spirits. When Zip was by Tye’s side, Tye seemed happy.

3/18/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

“It seemed to me that the foal knew that the dog was trying to help him, which is so sweet,” Kate said.

3/19/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

“Every time I would take off to the barn, Zip would run to the stall, and stand in front of the stall and wait for me to get there. He would beat me to the barn every time.”

3/18/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

“As soon as I opened the door, he would about knock me down before I could get in there. If the foal was laying down, he would go over there and lay his head on him.”

3/17/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

Thanks to Zip, Tye is now thriving

As the months went by, Tye gained weight and grew into the healthy, happy young horse he deserved to be - and Zip played a huge part in his success.

"You could tell that when the foal needed Zip, Zip was there for him. And now Zip knows that the foal is OK, so they kind of went their separate ways."

3/23/19

Posted by Karla Swindle on Thursday, April 25, 2019

While Tye and Zip still have playdates and will always be the best of friends, Zip is now watching from a distance to let Tye spend time with his older sister - who’s playing the role of Mum and teaching him how to ‘be’ a horse.

What an incredible story! We're sure that Tye will never forget what Zip did for him - well done, Zip!

4/20/19