😺 Take the cat personality test NOW


Vets warn about life-threatening dangers of sodium lamps

Sodium lamps are dangerous for cats and dogs cat-sad
© Rose Avenue Vet Hospital - Facebook

Vets are warning pet owners after one kitty nearly died from licking a Himalayan Salt Lamp. Hopefully, Ruby's story will raise awareness about the dangers of salt poisoning in house pets.

By Ashley Murphy

Published on the 05/07/2019, 16:00, Updated on the 08/02/2021, 13:44

Maddie Smith, from New Zealand, noticed that her cat, 11-month-old Ruby,  seemed a little less energetic than usual.

She put the kitty's mood down to the cold weather. So she gave Ruby a few extra strokes and left for work.

Ruby takes a turn for the worse

But when she returned home, it was obvious that little Ruby was in a bad way. Ruby was struggling to walk, refused any food and water, and couldn't even see properly.

Maddie rushed her beloved pet to the emergency animal hospital. The vets ran some tests and discovered that Ruby was suffering from severe brain swelling caused by sodium poisoning.

Thankfully, Maddie quickly identified the source of all that sodium - a  Himalayan salt lamp. These unique lamps are hand-crafted from the salt caves found near the Himalayan mountains.

Some people believe the negative salt ions released by heat reduces pollutants in the air. They also claim that salt lamps have several health benefits for humans, including increased blood flow, improved sleep, and higher levels of serotonin and dopamine, the brain's "happy" chemicals.

A few licks too many

But sodium lamps are dangerous for our pets. Cats and dogs can become addicted to licking the salty lights, and all that sodium leads to life-threatening symptoms, such as seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea, and loss of coordination.

Ruby is now on the road to recovery and should be back to her old self in no time. Maddie said:

"We are so glad she’s still here with us, with the right nutrition and hydration we should have her back to normal."

In the meantime, think very carefully before you bring a sodium lamp into your home. If you already have one, makes sure it's well out of reach of your cat or dog.


Meet Ruby - a kitty with an important cautionary tale! ?? Ruby's very concerned owners presented her to us with various...

Posted by First Vets on Wednesday, July 3, 2019