The SPA rescue group recently announced they will be pressing charges against an owner who locked his German Shepherd Dog inside a veranda during the heat wave.
By, 4 Jul 2019
While the heatwave hasn’t quite taken over the UK this week, it remains hot in the more Southern European countries. Last week in fact, temperatures in the French town of Poitiers rose to a frightening 40C in the shade.
Innocent victim finds death
Sadly, an inattentive owner left his German Shepherd inside a veranda on this very day, which shortly lead to the dog’s death.
When passer’s-by noticed the animal was struggling to breathe, they quickly called for help. But by the time the Police arrived, it was already too late. The dog was only two years old and still had his whole life ahead of him.
The SPA of Poitiers shared this information on their Facebook page to try raising awareness about the dangers of heatstroke. They have also decided to press charges against the owner.
This story must remind owners of the dangers of the summer months.
Never, under any circumstance, leave your pet exposed to the sunlight, without shade or water, even if just for 5 minutes. In 40 degree heat, a car’s inside temperature can rapidly rise to 44 degrees within 5 minutes, and 47 degrees within 10.
Dogs have fur and cannot sweat – so they can’t regulate their body temperatures as easily as we can. Even if they could – 47-degree heat is not pleasant.
Keep your pets safe and out of the heat!
DOG & CAT NEWSCats ears removed due to severe case of sunburn