Trending :
Wamiz Logo


Police call this the worst act of animal cruelty ever seen

Chico's former owner was jailed
© Unsplash

A 17-year-old Shi Tzu named Chico was put to sleep after becoming the victim of a harrowing act of animal cruelty. Chico's owner, Richard Piquard, 24, of Massachusets, USA, made the inexplicable decision to bury the poor dog alive in the backyard.

By Ashley Murphy , 22 Jun 2019

When questioned as to why he would even conceive of such a disturbing act, Piquard said that Chico didn't get along with his new pet kitten.

The worst case of animal cruelty ever seen

Walter Warchol is the local police chief. He said:

"Even in my 41 years here, I've never seen anything like it, 'We've seen other forms of animal cruelty. Burying something alive is a little beyond the reach."

Piquard decided to take care of the dog after his ex-girlfriend could no longer keep Chico in her small apartment.

18 months later, Piquard sent a text to a friend, Kaylee Belanger, stating he'd adopted a new kitten and that the dog had to go.

Concerned for Chico's welfare, Belanger went round to the house and quickly discovered Chico lying in a makeshift grave. Chico was still breathing but was otherwise unresponsive. Speaking about the shocking discovery, Belanger said:

"We uncovered a portion of Chico’s head. Only to realize that the rock was on top of him. I lifted the rock and there he was. Took a step back to grab the blanket when my fiancé shouted. “He’s breathing!!”

The couple rushed Chico to a local veterinary centre, but the team were unable to save him; Chico was euthanised the next day.

"Chico was evaluated to be malnourished, dehydrated, in shock with hypothermia as well as anaemia due to the infection of fleas on him," said Belanger. "He had matted and stained fur. And he was clearly being neglected before being buried alive."

Justice is served, but is it enough?

Police charged Richard Piquard with one count of animal cruelty, and he was released on $1,000 bail.

Piquard returned to court on the 9th April this year and received a 90-day jail sentence followed by a two-year probation order.