The UK's leading vet charity is warning cat owners about the dangers of common house flowers.
By, 24 Apr 2019
It comes after a four-month-old kitten named Luna nearly died from eating a lily flower.
Luna's owner, Emily Pyrce, thought she'd put the lilies out of harms ways. However, she came from work and saw that Luna had been munching on the flowers.
Knowing that lilies can be dangerous for cats, she called her local vet for advice. They said Luna would need emergency treatment which would cost around £1,000.
Talking to the Liverpool Echo, Emily said, “I checked our insurance paperwork only to find out that it had run out the day before! Although I work, I couldn’t afford to pay that much up front.”
“But I knew I had to get Luna the help she needed though, so I rang PDSA. They advised that I was eligible for their new reduced-cost service. They told me to bring her straight in, and it was such a relief to know that she would get the treatment she needed.”
Blood tests showed signs of kidney failure, a common side effect of eating lily pollen.
Luna spent two nights in the animal hospital, where she received round-the-clock treatment. She went onto make a full recovery and is now back at home with her cat mum.
A warning from the experts
Jemma Hughes is a PDSA Vet Care Assistant. She was keen to remind cat owners about the danger of lilies. She said:
“All parts of the plant, including the flower and leaves are toxic to cats.”
And, as Jemma points out, lilies aren't the only danger to our cats:
"A number of other plants can also pose a danger to pets, including peace lilies, daffodils, Lily-of-the-Valley Laburnum, Azalea and Cherry Laurel."
"If you think your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately for advice. The quicker they get treatment, the more likely it is they will survive.”
The PDSA is the UK's leading vet charity. They provide free and low-cost services for owners struggling to meet the costs of animal care.
DOG AND CAT NEWSIndonesian dog meat trade under fire as evidence of animal cruelty revealed
DOG AND CAT NEWSCan you give Mimi the senior kitty a loving forever home?