Dog dies by suffocation in tragic accident

Picture of Petey, a pitbull dog that died of suffocation dog-sad © Christina Young - Facebook

The death of their dog by suffocation has caused a married couple from Houston in Texas to take to social media in an effort to warn others of the danger of everyday items.

By Nick Whittle

Published on the , Updated on the

It was only a bag of crisps that Pitbull Petey found while his folks were out, but its contents were to prove a fatal attraction.

Christian beat me home from work by about 10 min,’ recalled Petey’s co-owner Christine, ‘and [he] was surprised when Petey didn’t greet him at the door like usual. As he walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head.’

It was his natural canine gluttony that was to be Petey’s undoing. The dog’s repeated attempts to lick the crumbs from the bottom of the bag forced him each time to plunge his muzzle deeper in. Eventually the dog was not able to remove the bag from his head and he asphyxiated.

A warning to others

The couple have since taken to social media to remind other dog owners not only of their obligation to ensure that no food is left within reach of a dog but that any plastic packaging is a potential death-trap.

Chip bags, cereal bags, bread bags, popcorn bags, dog / cat treat bags seem to be the most common,’ warns Christine. 'So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners & give your fur babies some extra love today and everyday after this.

It only takes about 3 minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels’. 

According to website the top five causes of canine suffocation are:

1 Food bag ‘hooding’
2 Confinement  
3 Incorrectly sized or snagged collars 
4 Ingestion of small toys and other items 
5 Smothering by bin bag

British Veterinary Association senior vice president Gudrun Ravetz said in a recent interview with The Independent, ‘We would advise pet owners to keep food safely stored out of reach of their pets, use pet-proof containers to store any edible items and monitor them while on walks outside. In case of an emergency, contact your local vet immediately.’

Leave a comment
0 comment
Confirmation of deletion

Are you sure you want to delete the comment?

Connect to comment